Monday, May 27, 2013

Pepin Garcia “Blue Label” Robusto

Don Pepin Garcia “Blue Label” Robusto 

Wrapper: Corojo Oscuro
Binder: Nicaraguan Criolla
Filler: Nicaraguan Criolla/Corojo
Paired with: Fresh Squeezed Meyer Lemon Bourbon Sour (details at end of review)

Appearance/Construction: Well packed, dark brown, silky, few thin veins, and no soft spots. This cigar has one of my favorite bands, the deep blue and rather elegant presentation on the corojo oscuro wrapper shows a great improvement from the old band.

Most notably, on the Cuban Classic and Blue Label, you see the American flag and statue of liberty reminding you that this is a “made in America”; however the Cuban heritage of Pepin shows on the opposite end of the label as well. A quick slice from my Xikar produces a draw with slight resistance.

Pre-Light Aromas: Roasted coffee, pepper, and a hefty nose of cedar. You can get some faint sweet tobacco aromas while the sinuses tingle a bit from the spice.

1/3: Perfectly even light which I can compliment myself for because I used a match which makes it easier for me personally. Initially I get notes of cedar and that Pepin blast of pepper. Shortly following I get the rest of what I received from the pre light aroma which was coffee and a faint sweet tobacco taste. About one inch into the stick it opens up producing a thick volume of smoke and a medium grey ash can be seen.

2/3: Pepper and spice is becoming more intense and it’s become apparent that this would entice those that are fans of fuller bodied and flavored sticks. The coffee faded away but I still get the rich tobacco taste along with cedar which keeps me happy. The burn has stayed rather straight with a slight wave that did not need any correction from my part.

3/3: From the beginning to this point I have not been let down once. The taste didn't change on me and I didn't get any wild notes of weird flavors that I sometimes read in other reviews. Rather than be one-dimensional, this cigar builds in intensity from start to finish with the finale having notes of cedar, pepper, the roasted coffee is back and a good kick of nicotine which is just the way it started with much more strength at the nub than the start. Final Thoughts:

One of my favorite vitolas is the Robusto but the Churchill comes in a close second followed by the torpedo. If you are looking for a well constructed stick by Don Pepin Garcia and you have not tried this yet, look no further and immediately grab a few if not a box. Fresh Squeezed Bourbon Sour: You’re probably wondering why I chose this beverage and to tell you the truth it tastes great. I was out of beer, bored with water and too early for a hard spirit. But in the Texas heat about mid-morning, this compliments anything.

Plus the wife likes them. I do a lot of home bar tending with the freshest ingredients found in the produce section and I’ll give Cuenca some of the recipes for a new blog post. I never buy mixes and after trying a few, you’ll see why.

Follow us:


Popular Brands

Arturo Fuente Cigars, Perdomo Cigars, Romeo y Julieta, Montecristo, Carlos Torano Cigars, Ashton Cigars, My Father Cigar Company, H Upmann, Oliva Cigars

1 comments:

Unknown said...

According to me, It is a perfect early cigar or one to balance the delicate flavours of a meal or drink.

http://lacasadelhabano-brussels.be/